submitted by zain ahmed
July 05 - 09, 2012
Arts Council of Pakistan
600 and students 300 PKR
MantoRama is an exciting new play paying tribute to Saadat Hasan Manto directed by Sunil Shankar and written by Khurram Shafiq. The play depicts many of Manto´s life events and explores his writings through his charcters.
Date: 5-9 July 2012, 8pm
Ticket price: Rs. 600/-
Ticket Price for students: Rs.300/- (please show your school/college/university ID card)
Mantorama is an original play in which Shafiq attempts to bring Manto’s world of ingenious imagination alive on stage. The performance is a confluence of Manto’s life and his writings and includes various biographical incidents which had a significant impact on the course of his life. Manto leaving his birthplace, his life after marriage, the law suits against him and his migration to Pakistan are a few glimpses that Mantorama brings forth.
The play also explores some of his famous short stories including “Hatak” (Insult) and “Thanda Gosht" (Cold Meat). Characters from the various short stories deftly interact with the author to question and debate Manto’s craft as a writer.
Excerpts from his short stories are embedded within his real life events to present an insightful view of Manto the man versus Manto the writer.
• DIRECTOR’S PROFILE: Sunil Shanker has a diploma from NAPA with a major in acting. This is his first directorial venture for the NAPA Repertory Theater. His most recent work includes EQUUS which he directed for the NAPA Performing Arts Festival 2012. This play received much critical acclaim. He has acted in several plays produced by the NRT prominent among them are Nek Parveen and Sufaid Khoon.
• Director’s Note: “Mantorama cannot be bracketed as a conventional play. This is our attempt to make Manto’s imagination come alive on stage. And for the first time, I am utilizing a live orchestra to enhance the dramatic theme of the play. The music composition is original and tries to convey Manto’s temperament during different stages of his life. Our orchestra has merged Mirza Ghalib’s poetry with classical music to evoke a sense of reminiscence.”
• CAST :
Ishtiaq Omar as Manto: Ishtiaq, a recent acting major has performed in many plays produced by NAPA such Julius Caesar, Hoon Mantazir Mein. This is his first play for the NRT. His most recent work as an actor includes Equus in which he played the role of Alan Strang. This play was staged during the NAPA Performing Arts Festival 2012. His prominent roles as an actor include Franz Kafka in Kafka among others.
• Rauf Afridi as Ishar Singh: Afridi works as a professional director and producer for Express News. He is also a Television anchor and hosts his own show Reporter Pakistani. As a NAPA graduate his acting credits include Khwabon Ke Musafir, Khamosh! Yeh Adalat Hai, Khel Jari Hai and Kanjoos.
• Zain Nazar as Hindustan: Zain is a NAPA graduate and now works professionally as an actor for Express News and Hum TV. He has acted in several plays for NRT which include: Mid Summer’s Night Dream and Othello.
• Raheel Ahmed as Madhav: Raheel has majored in acting at NAPA. He now works for A&B Productions as a professional script editor. His work as an actor includes Othello and Hoon Muntazir Main.
• Muzaina Malik as Saugandhi: Muzaina has taken several acting courses at NAPA and holds a degree in social work. She works as a professional beautician and this is her first play for NRT. She has worked for Shah Sharabell in Tom Dick and Harry and in Othello and for NAPA.
• Anoushka as Wazir: Anoushka has studied acting at NAPA. She now works professionally as a producer and director for Indus Television. Her plays for NAPA include Othello among others. Manotrama is her first play for the NRT.
• Afreen Seher as Safia: Afreen is pursuing a bachelors degree in Theater from Smith College, U.S.A and is a summer intern at NAPA. Mantorama is her first play for the NRT. She has also assisted Sunil Shankar in Mantorama with publicity and stage management.
|Add Comment (Text, Image, Video)|
June 30, 2012