Location: Ranipur (Sindh), currently living in Rawalpindi
Administration by Umair J
|I am Aqeel Solangi. Artist (Painter), living and working in Pakistan. Currently Teaching at NCA (Rawalpindi campus) as an Assistant Professor in the department of Fine arts, also running personal studio for drawing and painting classes at Harley Street Rawalpindi since June 2007.
I joined Mehboob Painters at Khairpur (Mir’s) Sindh, (a sign and cinema board painter for apprenticeship around 1996-97). Having back ground of that vast field of Sign & cinema board painting I joined Department of Fine arts at National College of Arts Lahore in 2000 for pursuing BFA and successfully passed with honours in 2003. Then I enrolled at MA (Hons.) Visual Art at the same institution in 2004 and completed in 2005.
I was awarded the Young Talent award 2006 by Pakistan National Council of the Arts (PNCA) and my work has been collected nationally and internationally including India, U.A.E, USA and in the UK.
I was the recipient of NCA/VITA-CW Pak. Trust art bursary in 2006 to spend a term at the Prince’s School of Traditional Arts London.
About your work and vision
My concerns are about time and memory. I explore non physical realities through the depiction of physical layers. In other words the physical character of the wall (painted layers) gives the impressions of some one’s presence. It is similar like repaint the surrounding and live with that. In that sense each layer is covered with some one’s presence. Purpose for creating that imagery is like those images creates the sort of layers on my mind. In other words each person I meet, every place I visit, they build my memory layer by layer. I took this point and created the imagery of self constructed narratives, in this way I am investigating the association about my own previous time (past). (Clouds, Draperies, and flowers in elliptical light are the personal symbols about something like reminiscence).
Current projects/activities: Teaching at NCA (Rwp. campus) as an Assistant Professor in Department of Fine Arts. Running personal studio for Drawing and Painting at Harley street Rawalpindi.
About Lahore or Pakistani culture:
If we expand the horizon to look beyond ‘Partition’, our culture is rooted in highly prestigious activities, the cultural diversity is the true essence of this country, there is no need to change remaining one but the necessity requires preserving it for next generations.
• 2011: ‘Vus’at-e-Bahr-o-Bar’. Koel Gallery. Karachi.
• 2010: ´The Root, The Ground & The Air. Koel Gallery. Karachi.
• 2010: ‘Metonyms for Memories’ (Two person show with Sheherbano Hussain) POPPYSEED Gallery Karachi.
• 2009: ´Substantial Territories´, Rohtas Gallery. Islamabad.
• 2009: “First Impressions”. Grand Hyatt. Dubai. U.A.E.
• 2009: “Beyond the Frame”. National Art Gallery. Islamabad.
• 2008: ‘Sufficient Grounds’, Nomad Gallery. Islamabad.
• 2008: “The Kohinoor Selection” Art gems of the sub- continent, Unicorn Gallery, Emirates Hills, Dubai.
• 2008: “As it seems – or, as far as the eye can see”, Drawings by the faculty of NCA, RWP-Campus.
• 2008: 13th Asian Art Biennale, Dhaka. Bangladesh.
• 2008: “Colors of Peace”. Alaap Visual Arts Exhibition. Gallery 39-K. Lahore.
• 2008: New vistas in the 21st century Art”. Sindh University. Jamshoro. Pakistan.
• 2007: “Artworks” by the faculty of NCA, RWP-Campus. Gallery NCA, Rawalpindi
• 2006: Exhibition of Paintings and Mixed Media works. Nairang Galleries. Lahore.
• 2006: 8th National Show. 20th Annual Exhibition Artists Association of Punjab. Alhamra. Lahore.
• 2006: A Vision Of The Future. Exhibition of Young Artists. Alhamra. Lahore.
• 2005: ‘Time & Memory’, Degree Show MA (Hons.) Visual Art Zahoor ul Akhlaque Gallery. National College of Arts, Lahore.
• 2004: 4th International Exhibition of Calligraphy. Pakistan Calligraph Artist´s Guild (PCG). Alhamra. Lahore.
• 2003: Non physical realities’, Degree Show (BFA) Fine Arts, Department. National College of Arts, Lahore
The News on Sunday “Encore”. April 24, 2011.
Business Recorder. April 16, 2011.
DawnGallery. March 14, 2010
DawnGallery. February 07, 2010
Business Recorder. February 06, 2010.
The News international, March 05, 2009.
DawnGallery. September 06, 2008
The News international, August 20, 2008.
Weekly Cutting Edge. June 07-13, 2006.
The News on Sunday “Encore”. January 4, 2004.
Since when are you in the music/art scene?
Why did you choose being an artist as your profession?
To become the part of that thread (Art community) which connects the Human being’s unlimited and alive expression.
What do you think should be done to improve the situation of artists in Pakistan?
To adapt the contemporary ways of awareness, To provide multiple platforms and debates. To bridge the gap between regional and global Art scene.
What do you think about the Pakistani food scene?
Its matter of taste, we have a variety of food in all different regions of Pakistan, it is marvelous and that we can say ours.
Which kind of events do you attend?
Any sort of gathering which enhance the aesthetic sensibilities.
Do we really need art and music if yes why?
Yes, in my opinion Art is about expression and experience, whether it is Dance, Painting, and Singing etc. it keeps alive our souls, and provides a thought for new visions.
What are your upcoming projects?
Working on my next solo exhibition.
What kind of music do you like?
Eastern Classical & Folk music.
Who is your inspiration?
Ms. Mussarat Mirza (Artist working at Sukkur, Sindh).
What is your message?
"Someone´s opinion of you does not have to become your reality"